Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It depends, some of it is just noise. Listen to the City of Evil album by Avenged Sevenfold, it's considered heavy metal but is really good. They have some crazy guitar solos and drum beats for it too. Their Waking the Fallen album I didn't care for, but they've evolved a lot since they first started.

Oh, if you want a specific song introduction, look up Beast and the Harlot. It's about the seven year tribulation after the rapture and the devil's second appearance afterwards.

Super Moderator Yes Man bootymaimed's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I've been into metal ever since I was about 5 or so, but I will agree that a lot of the newer metal bands are kind of bad and just full of noise. But then again, this is coming from the person that likes Pantera and Rob Zombie, so, what do I know? :P

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Some bands feel like they're trying to be 'heavy' just for the sake of it. I do enjoy me some metal from time to time tho.

Junior Member Lil' Homie deathbyprayer's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

No I have to disagree. Maybe you're referring to the mainstream "Metal" music which is not Metal at all, it's what the kids call "Metalcore" which is just plain awful. The Classic Metal vibe is still pretty much alive, you just have to look in the right places. If you're going to Vans Warped Tour to listen some Metal bands then you're going to have a bad time.

Senior Member Groupie Strykstar's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think it depends a lot on the band, some are just noise like you say, but other have simply very intense songs.
    Heavy metal musics have a good melody, even if it's sped up 100x it's when kids just decide to make noise and then add music on top of that that it becomes trash.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I like listening to metal, but I have to agree with you that some of the bands are really awful and I can't listen to them. I listen to the metal bands that don't scream or growl too much, so that I still know what the lyrics are about. I never could listen to the bands that were just screaming for the whole song, because I couldn't understand the words and it seemed just like a waste of time. There are people out there that enjoy this type of music and I respect that, but I'm not one of them.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I think a lot of the noise you get in heavy metal is, like you said, the singing. I've heard some really good heavy metal bands that have "clean" vocals. A lot of times the instrumentation is actually pretty solid. I actually wish more rappers and heavy metal bands would work together. When Anthrax and Public Enemy did that song together it was pretty badass.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't really know what you call heavy metal. The musical genre typically referred to as heavy metal (e.g. Iron Maiden) is pretty dead today. If you are referring to stuff like metalcore or doom metal then that is a different matter, but I still don't know what you mean by "noisy".

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

People who are not into metal may be annoyed by so called 'noise' of heavy metal songs. But from a musical point of view, it is just another form of music to express some intense feelings. The 'noises' are essential part of heavy metal songs.
    Most of the Heavy metal songs are meaningful and when you go through the lyrics while listening to the song, you might understand what the noise was about.

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Yes, totally. If you're not a fan of some genre of music, you would think it's not actual music and just noise because you don't appreciate it. Personally, I'm over with the whole metal genre, i used to listen to metal when i was younger but now, i just think it's just loud and nuisance sounds that doesn't make sense at all.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 8/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Any genre of music is just noise to someone, and I myself don't like metal all that much so I'd actually agree with it personally but I'm also aware that to some people it can be soothing in a way that probably only they can understand.
    I like this kind of mentality, this is what promotes understanding, accepting even that which you don't necessarily understand or like yourself because ultimately everything boils down to personal taste, and as I already said, its just to each his own.

Also metal, as with all music, has an incredible number of subgenre's. You might say you don't like "metal" if you heard some emo-core or scream core band or something and it was presented as metal, but there's 80's heavy metal with high pitched singing, doom metal with sad melodic vocals and so on and so forth and you might find yourself actually liking metal if you heard those instead of the others idk just saying there is a lot of diversity in any given music genre.

Junior Member Lil' Homie Dixons's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I sort of agree with you, Metal isn't what it used to be. I was never much of a fan but I used to be able to stand it. Now it's simply noise and nothing but noise. I wonder what happened to the genre in these years .

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Yes, heavy metal is way to much noise. It just a bunch of instruments making noise and it not peaceful at all. I guess people just do it to relieve stress.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I agree with your opinion 100%. It's the one genre that I can barely stand to hear anymore. If any of my friends invite me to a show I politely decline. It's to the point that it just gives me a headache and makes me feel like I should have a nosebleed. No thank you I'll take anything over that kind of feeling.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I really think the heavy metal genre has gotten way too noisy to the point that it's not music anymore. I mean, the way they sing, how could anybody think that's music. I have no problem listening to those classic metal bands, but i think the new stuff is just too much. What do you metal lovers think?
    What kind of heavy metal genre are you listening to right now? Why would you think that way too noise != music?
    Try listening to john cage 4'33...is that music too you? What classic metal bands? Black Sabbath?

I think you aren't listening to a lot of Metal this days and you are giving an opinion based on 0 knowledge. Let me guess...Opeth ain't metal for you. Or Revocation is too trashy? Or you miss the old days of Metallica? Have you listen to Revocation's newest album? Tool is coming with a new album. QOTSA and Kyuss ain't metal for you? What about Mastodon?

Op, what are you currently listening to in regards to Heavy Metal?