Given: 32/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Heavy metal just noise?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I really think the heavy metal genre has gotten way too noisy to the point that it's not music anymore. I mean, the way they sing, how could anybody think that's music. I have no problem listening to those classic metal bands, but i think the new stuff is just too much. What do you metal lovers think?

Junior Member Lil' Homie johnnear's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I really think the heavy metal genre has gotten way too noisy to the point that it's not music anymore. I mean, the way they sing, how could anybody think that's music. I have no problem listening to those classic metal bands, but i think the new stuff is just too much. What do you metal lovers think?
    Yeah I have to agree at some point. I think most of today's "Metal" is just a bunch of dudes who happened to pick up a guitar and a mic and just chug chug on repeatedly on a Drop D tune. But I think the way they sing, the screaming and growling isn't really noise. I can't blame you for thinking like that, I used to think like that back then but it's all part of the act really. Some bands tend to have screaming vocals to really push the emotions and the grit of the genre since Metal is aggression and anger. Some of the screaming vocals blend in well but some of them are just pure noise and no coherent musical value at all. But hey, some people can listen to lousy Pop songs and call it music. I think it's just a matter of preference what music really is.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 25/3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I like some metal songs but I have to say that I agree. Some of the metal songs that I've listened to I can not make out a word. It is just a bunch of screaming. But I guess that's their way of letting out of their emotions?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 17/4
    Given: 14/2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

There are some heavy metal songs that are just screaming, but then there are some that are just pure awesomeness! Artists who make heavy metal actually sound good are really talented.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/2
    Given: 13/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I also don't like those bands whose lyrics are indecipherable, like Kittie for example. I prefer those bands who do not shout that much. Just listening to overly screaming bands is just plain torture for me.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

That's why I prefer to listen to all those classic metal bands out there and don't waste my time for the latest ones that are mostly crap.

Administrator Reliable Person mdemaz's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/2
    Given: 57/0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    This type of music is really trendy and it sells good. That's the only reason there's so many metalcore/screamo bands around. I don't think they have a negative impact on the music industry and I enjoy bands like Bullet for my Valentine and Atreyu, but it does get a bit frustrating when you are at a show waiting for Slayer and you gotta listen to 4 metalcore/screamo bands before them.

That's all I gotta say about that.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Since there are people who won't listen to anything but heavy metal I suppose they find the music to be good enough for them. Everyone has their tastes so if yelling is the kind of thing they like then well . . . it's music for them. That said, I used to be a heavy metal fan and back then I thought it was the best music ever. So, for the fans, they don't mind what you'd refer to as "noise."

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 32/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Yes, i have to admit i agree with most of you. But heavy metal has become some what of a cliche. There's no originality to them anymore. It's not like, for example, punk rock, where you can tell one band from another. Back in the day, it was easy to tell metal bands apart, but now it's a lot more difficult because most of them sound just the same.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Heavy metal has split into so many subgenres these days. There is death metal, doom metal, glamour metal, gothic metal, thrash metal, just to name a few. Heavy metal genres can overlap or are difficult to distinguish, but they can be identified by a number of traits, such as the type of instruments that are used, tempo, song structure, vocal style, and so on.
    I've always liked heavy metal, but a lot of the music that is now classified as "metal" sounds just like badly rehashed old stuff to me.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 8/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Its true that new metal bands struggle to make new things and be original but its hard because most melodies have been already written, thought of and so on. But then so is rap or other genres, same old beats, same old subjects.

I think that you can always discover older bands that you didn't know, you don't always have to discover new bands and like new music, you can like what is "new" for you, even if the band is from the 60's, you might've discovered them today and love them.
    I believe the same goes with anything.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/1
    Given: 23/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I agree with you that heavy metal has become very strident & harsh in sound. I used t be on Slice the Pie where you get paid to rate music, and I can honestly say that 90% of the songs of that type I rated where impossible to understand the lyrics. It was just strident & very noisy with rhythm. However, it will always sell. Heavy Metal has it's own culture and the aggressive approach it brings is what magnifies it's fans.

Junior Member Rookie beccagreen's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Well to most people it is but for metal heads it's not. I mean, if it's just noise and has no musical value to it then how come almost every metal festival is swarming with crowds of people just banging their heads to an incomprehensible song? Sure it sounds like it but to these people it's music at its purest form.

I'm not really a fan of metal nor am I defending it but I think you have to be in a different state of mind and perspective to fully appreciate the screaming vocals. I'd rather listen to a guy screaming and tearing his throat out while singing about something that makes sense rather than Justin Bieber tenderly cooing with me the word "baby" for three f***ing minutes.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 8/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I couldn't agree more Becca. Though you could say my opinion is biased because I like and listen to metal amongst other things, I do think that its already entering the realm of common sense and not just taste here. Then again taste can't be discussed and everybody has their own perception of beauty in art, life and everything else.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Any genre of music is just noise to someone, and I myself don't like metal all that much so I'd actually agree with it personally but I'm also aware that to some people it can be soothing in a way that probably only they can understand.