HTML tutorial

User Tag List

Thread: Recommendations for Homeschool Hip Hop Education - History of Genre and Must Listen Artists

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Recommendations for Homeschool Hip Hop Education - History of Genre and Must Listen Artists

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hello. I'm looking to create an informal curriculum for home educated highschool teens around the History of Hip Hop and the important artists of today in this genre. I'll admit that my own musical tastes have leaned more toward alternative indie music and punk so I need some guidance here. I have a 14 year old who is very interested in Hip Hop and I want to provide him with some resources on the history and evolution of this style of music as well as the movers and shakers who have put it on the map musically. Any tips of suggestions of artists you could suggest would be most welcome.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Well the two biggest artists in my opinion that influenced rap were 2pac also know as Tupac, and Biggie Smalls. I'd research them if I were you Ma'am.

I also, Recommend you post in the "ask Ca$his" Board to ask the famous rapper "Ca$his" for advice if I were you, and also post a introduction thread, in the "Introduction" Forum section

Regards,

HomieOC

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

In addition to HomieOC's advice there's an essay on the link below that you could find useful
    http://www.directessays.com/viewpaper/80781.html
    Specific purpose: To inform my audience on the history of rap music.
    It's an essay about the history of rap. I had a look at it and though it's not comprehensive I think for a starting point, it would be OK. You can use the information in it, to search for more info because I understand that's what you are after.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Since Hip Hop is technically an electronic genre (one of the most influential in my opinion), some background on the development of electronic music and sampler technology and such would probably be important. Here is an okay resource for that:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Keep in mind that itís a bit dated (hasn't been updated since ~2004) and that the author has a jaded tone, but itís an okay primer. Under his classification, hip hop falls under "Breaks."

You might also want to take a look the political and social issues that heavily influenced rap music, especially in the 90ís. Thereís the 1992 Los Angeles riots, for example, that had an impact on releases like The Chronic. You can also discuss how art interacts with culture a bit. For example, how artists from the Caribbean influenced the form. Finally, analyzing deconstructionist rap like Lil B and Tyler The Creator could yield a greater awareness and appreciation for artistic form. A good resource on art in general would be Understanding Comics.