User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Most Hip-hop artist anti-gay?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Are Most Hip-hop artist anti-gay?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gay marriages have been legalized all over the place and this days some homosexual can openly declare he is gay and they wouldn't get bashed up for that. But did that mark the end of homophobia?
    Anti-gay sentiments have been entrenched in hip-hop for decades. Eminem,
    [is] widely known for offensive lyrics toward homosexuals . . .
    In the 90s it was deemed one of the worst insults to be called gay. And that's exactly what NWA did when they split up . . . accused each other of being gay.

Has the attitude towards gays in the hip hop world changed much?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 4/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Rappers get a lot of heat for using anti-gay remarks, more than they used to, and any change in the hip hop world is most likely just adapting to what sells and what they know doesn't

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I can guarantee you Eazy E from NWA got Aids from a man. My doctor told me it's almost impossible to get Aids from a girl.

Junior Member Rookie BrianTheIlluminatedGenie's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

What is written, recorded, and released is based on the demographic of the targeted fan when it comes to international/high level music. Thus, the artist is chosen and signed based on their content that matches the needs for the current landscape of the music any given time. This is also why artists who are less versatile or too-focused on a certain angle in the beginning of their careers have a hard time staying up there.

Hip Hop is Love, man. Even when it's tough love. Don't nobody care really if you are gay or not. As long as you give love, you will get love back, it's the same everywhere, not just in hip hop and rap. Everybody knows you gotta respect people's right not to deal with others' sexuality just like you gotta respect someone's sexuality. If you not hating, you can come as you are. It's better to be gay and real than to be gay and fake about it. My 2 cents.

I am not gay, and as a person who partook in rap like it was oxygen for a long time, I can tell you, I don't dislike gay people and I just know, for me, it's better that's your private life. And you love who you wanna love, long as you are loving. It's just the way it is - you love and the world is alright, but you hate - hate on gay people, hate on anyone - and that's where people won't like you so much.

Eminem wrote a lot of his works to expose people. "I'll make your freak leave you" -Still Don't Give A F*ck lyrics, maybe it was Just Don't, but either way, it's about being the pied piper.

That's why britney came out innocent and turned to a smut - she was leading the girls down the bad path.

That's why em came out rough and went more mature - it's not just his own personal growth, it's mass manipulation. It's how the world works. He makes the posers follow and expose themselves as wicked, then media says how bad eminem is -> people either change, or get left behind by the people who see "he is like eminem, and that is not good" kind of thing - it's very meticulous when it comes to the lab coats...

This ain't a murder song, for example:

Did you know you can get money for reviewing new music before anyone else hears it?

Senior Member Groupie Tumwriter92's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think nowadays a lot of things has changed since the 90's, people don't often care anymore whether a person is homosexual or not but that's just from what I've seen. Then again, I guaranteed they're many Homosexual Hip-Hip artists out there who are still skeptical about opening the closet of themselves publicly, due to getting attacked by another artist etc.

Super Moderator Yes Man Colebra's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/1
    Given: 23/1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tumwriter92 View Post
    I think nowadays a lot of things has changed since the 90's, people don't often care anymore whether a person is homosexual or not but that's just from what I've seen.
    That's right.
    Plus, the intent behind the words is everything. So what really matters is the intent, not the word itself.
    I don't think Em's words are meant like a insult to gays.
    But don't take my word for it, here's a guy who really has the latest on this:

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/1
    Given: 3/14
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I actually don't think Eminem is anti-gay. I think if you sat him down in a room full of male and female homosexuals, he would just kick it with them. Being gay is more accepted now in this country than ever before, and you might still hear "faggot" or whatever in lyrics, but I really don't think most rappers are anti-gay.

I could be completely wrong, but who knows?

Senior Member Yes Man latoya0511's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Given: 1/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieOC View Post
    I can guarantee you Eazy E from NWA got Aids from a man. My doctor told me it's almost impossible to get Aids from a girl.
    I doubt that. I mean he was an entertainer and who knows what type of females he was dealing when. If you on the road a lot its like it can come easy to you. Females can have it just as much s males.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I would say it in a polite way, that most of them just do not seem to find it right, the act of being gay, but I would say majority of them ,but not all of them.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

No, most hip hop artists are not anti-gay. A lot of the time, the lyrics in hip hop using slurs is really as a diss to someone and not necessarily the gay community. Hip hop has always used gay slurs in music. The gay community never cared until Eminem said it and suddenly it was a major issue. It really comes down to racial lines as Eminem is a white rapper reaching millions of white kids and there's an assumption that black rappers will mostly have black fans. It's a hypocrisy by the gay community as slurs used by any artist shouldn't acceptable but I guess if black listeners are targeted with the slurs, then it doesn't matter to GLAAD and so forth.

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/1
    Given: 7/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think there are many rappers out there that are gay and still don't feel comfortable coming out the closet because they are afraid of being judged by their peers and fans. If you cant be comfortable with who you are, then your not living your life for you at all. Things have changed since the 90's but people are still cautious about coming out.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

When rappers use anti-gay/homophobic remarks in their lyrics, it's looked down upon a lot more than before. But I haven't seen it that much lately.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

In the media the gay agenda is moving forward, and you will get vetoed if you say anything against it. On the other hand, on the street level, straight black men in the hip hop community are against gayness as much as before. It is frown upon in the streets, but anti-gay sentiment has been purged form media.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I'm guessing that they are a lot less homophobic nowadays. Back then, it was just cool to bash on gays as if you were seen supporting them you risked being labeled as one as well but now that it doesn't matter as much, I doubt many of them still subscribe to the behavior.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Homophobic lines will almost be wiped out in the next decade I think. You don't see them as much as you used to and they're getting less and less. I also don't think Eminem is homophobic, it just attracts a lot of publicity if you say something about a controverse such as gay-marriage.