Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

White Rappers Who Use The "N" Word

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Most black rappers say that it's just a word. They don't mind using it and their fans don't either. But a number of white rappers also use the word because they have some kind of pass?
    "If you're a white guy who grew up in Inglewood, you might have a pass to say it around your friends but if you go say it in Long Beach, you might get in trouble."
    I heard some people criticize Fat Joe for using the "N" word on many of his songs but in his defense Joe said
    http://www.sohh.com/2013/08/fat_joe_...g_n-bombs.html
    "By the way, I'm blacker than most black people," Joe proclaimed in an interview. "For the record. From the Bronx, I grew up 90 percent black people, half my family is black, I love black people, I am pro-Latino, I love Latino. I don't see the difference. If you a black person or you a Latino, and they got sugar next door, we're going to your house -- I've always viewed us as one. Big Pun's number one hit was 'Boricua, Morena,' together. You understand what I'm saying? 'Why Fat Joe say the N-word?' 'Cause I am that n*gga. It's just the bottom line. I hate it when J. Lo said it one time, I know she's a superstar and she's like, 'Ahhh.' I'm like, 'Yo, you're from the Bronx, you supposed to say, that's what we say.' Terms of endearment. We call our cousins that, we call our brothers that. We were just talking about a white guy that says 'N' all day and we never looked at him different. Why? 'Cause the first time I met him he was with 20 black dudes and every wife he ever had was black. He ain't prejudice. He's just saying it as a term of endearment. It's not our fault it turned hip-hop." ("The Breakfast Club")
    Your thoughts? Should white entertainers like Jay Lo use the "N" word whether they have the aforementioned "pass" or not?
    During a free concert in NYC she explained to the crowd; "You know, for anyone to think or suggest or say that I am racist is really absurd and hurtful to me. The use of the word in the song, which was written by John Raoul, was not meant to be hurtful to anyone in any way."

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't really care if they say it. They don't mean it in any hurtful way, so I think it's okay to use it.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It would be difficult to judge or have thoughts on that one,since it also depends on the background and up bringing, though I do not really care about that.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Most black rappers say that it's just a word. They don't mind using it and their fans don't either. But a number of white rappers also use the word because they have some kind of pass?

I heard some people criticize Fat Joe for using the "N" word on many of his songs but in his defense Joe said
    http://www.sohh.com/2013/08/fat_joe_...g_n-bombs.html

Your thoughts? Should white entertainers like Jay Lo use the "N" word whether they have the aforementioned "pass" or not?
    J Lo and Fat Joe are Latino (Puerto Rican from largely black populations in NY), and the differences between that and white are much deeper than skin tone. If you have ever seen a Puerto Rican that is darker than many what we call black people, and have the same hair texture, you will understand (search for the soccer player Pele to see what I mean).

The only difference between them and "African-Americans" is language. I am pointing this out because the use of white must be in the proper context. The PR population is often an ally in the struggle, and living in the same community with "black people". I am not saying I approve or not, just wanting to put it in true context.

These artist are often referring to themselves when they are using the "n" word. In that case, can we deny them the right to call themselves what they wish?

Banned Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 5/2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I have never heard Eminem use it . Wigga' yea but not the N-word.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't see what the big fuss about the word is anymore, at the end of the day everyone uses it. Its become such a mainstream word these days that I'm surprised people still care who and who uses it.

Super Moderator Yes Man Swagawa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/1
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think because black people are usually at the front of many of the newer trends, white people use it because it looks cool when a black person says to another black person, "my nigga."
    If you're black, and people using this word offends you, then if everyone stops using it in social situations, it will slowly disappear. But by now nigga has kinda been transformed into a word that means really close friend, so I don't think anyone should take offence.
    If you're a Manchester United fan, or just someone that loves discussing football (soccer), then come check out my site, Red Devil Fans!

http://reddevilfans.com/index.php

We host tons of great contests that can see you winning Man Utd merchandise simply by posting!

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't think it's a problem. Plenty of people say it in everyday speech, and nobody cares about it. Saying it in a song shouldn't be that large of a difference.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Anyone who says it to someone as an insult is only looking to upset the person. Like calling someone fat, not because you care about their weight but because you want to hit them where you suspect it hurts. More people use it in place of the word "friend." It's the ones who use in the place of the word "black" that upsets people. It still bothers me in that case but I don't think it should. No one should be able to upset you with a word.

Senior Member Groupie darlynda09's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't think they should used the N word personally.. I delete so much people on my facebook for that reason alone.. & its not cool when people like J-Lo influence their fans to use the word and make it okay., when its pretty offensive to black people.. Well in Canada it is anyways.. :/

Junior Member Rookie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I guess if used offensively.- But if it's for musical purposes and art then I think there should be no borders or limits.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wulfman View Post
    I have never heard Eminem use it . Wigga' yea but not the N-word.
    He says it like 3 times during a live performance with dr dre.. You tube it..

here

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't think it matters at all. The only racist part is calling the white person for using a word. Nigga is just a way of saying Negro, black in spanish, in the wrong way. THAT'S IT. And if black people can say it, why can't a white person say it? And then they accuse the white people of being racist! Nope. It's bullshit.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

The N word is hardly recognised as a racist term now, but im OK with it as long as the rapper is not using it in a racist way.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealChris View Post
    I don't think it matters at all. The only racist part is calling the white person for using a word. Nigga is just a way of saying Negro, black in spanish, in the wrong way. THAT'S IT. And if black people can say it, why can't a white person say it? And then they accuse the white people of being racist! Nope. It's bullshit.
    I'm with you on this..I'm saying the N word all day, and my black friends don't care.