Given: 115/21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Is Rap a Good Genre for 'Science Museum'-Advertising

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The Oklahoma Gazette reports that a new advertisement for the Oklahoma Science-Museum features Oklahoma City's leading rap-artist Jabee.

Sound like a good move?

Does to me You see, my favorite rappers are the ones who use LOTS OF WORDS in their songs (hearkens back to a time when scholars would regularly memorize long-poems & -monologues). I'm sure some of `em are relatively un-schooled and 'just faking it' (kinda like I do with a couple Yiddish songs I heard on a Mandy Patinkin album ... I don't speak a word of Yiddish, but--hearing me sing those songs--you might guess I'm as fluent in it as I am in any other non-English language ... and you'd be right, as I don't speak a word of any other language either!)

But school is the place to get fluent like those rappers. Seriously, if all my fantasies come true & some Norwegian Oil-&-Gas-Princess whisks me away, I'll be spending time in Norway's 'public-libraries' (do they have those there?) and possibly ''whatever-their-native-language-is'-as-a-second-language'-classes

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Since its only in their little small town and state then I see why they saw it fit to use that as their advertise, however should they use that all the time, and would other places around the world do so, probably not.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

You can use rap music to sell just about anything if the flows and beats fit.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 6/1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Poetry belongs in a museum, tbh.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I agree David

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Well as long as the message is being passed on and the receivers are understanding what is being said, then I do not see anything wrong with it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidgarcia View Post
    Poetry belongs in a museum, tbh.
    So "yes, rap IS appropriate for a science-museum"? Or does rap somenhow not count as poetry?

Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What are you trying to insinuate? Rap music belongs to stupid black people, so they could never have the acumen to stumble upon a science museum? Rap music belongs anywhere just like any other music. Just because it wasn't made 600 years ago doesn't mean it doesn't have any relevance or place in a museum. Especially one for science, where the nature of science is to change. The best thing for a science museum is to have something new.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NathanO View Post
    What are you trying to insinuate? Rap music belongs to stupid black people, so they could never have the acumen to stumble upon a science museum? Rap music belongs anywhere just like any other music. Just because it wasn't made 600 years ago doesn't mean it doesn't have any relevance or place in a museum. Especially one for science, where the nature of science is to change. The best thing for a science museum is to have something new.
    I am very-tempted to call you all sorts of insulting words for insinuating that I should think such things. (a Buddhist technique for avoiding violence---acknowledge your violent feelings, and let them go) and I wrote plain-as-day why I think rap is a highly-efficient brain-building technique! It's a shame you're in too much a hurry to read more than the subject-line before you babble your response.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 15/3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think there are some great points being made here. Rap is poetry. Language and the arts of it to belong in a museum setting and do have the representation of being shown as mind expanding. I don't see why rap can't be that or be advertised as that just because of what it may or may not have been grouped with in the past.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't see why rap should be compartmentalised in any way, and only be used for advertising in certain genres. These days they sell everything from water to real estate, using catchy rap. The only thing I wonder about is in what kind of light that sort of advertising work puts the rapper.

Senior Member Groupie kaitheteen's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I'm not sure if rap does fit into a museum, but you never know and should always give it a try. I just don't see rap in a museum. The museum should definitely look into other music genres.

Senior Member Yes Man mcjonesqwe's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 11/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaitheteen View Post
    I'm not sure if rap does fit into a museum, but you never know and should always give it a try. I just don't see rap in a museum. The museum should definitely look into other music genres.
    I think it does. Any kind of unconventional music in a museum makes it appear a lot more modern and interesting. I think rap music is great for museums, especially art museums or something else artistic.

Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mythman View Post
    I am very-tempted to call you all sorts of insulting words for insinuating that I should think such things. (a Buddhist technique for avoiding violence---acknowledge your violent feelings, and let them go) and I wrote plain-as-day why I think rap is a highly-efficient brain-building technique! It's a shame you're in too much a hurry to read more than the subject-line before you babble your response.
    You can talk about avoiding violence all you want, but there's no easy way to do that when i'm dehumanized for no reason anywhere I go. If I see the police choking a suspect to death for nothing or shooting somebody for carrying a toy gun, what violence can I avoid?