User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of music made the biggest impression on you as you grew up?

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

What kind of music made the biggest impression on you as you grew up?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I grew up listening to operas on the radio with my grandmother. I was such a na´ve kid who knew nothing much about music outside the classical genre. I remember so clearly the first time I stumbled across reggae music. I was about eight years old and saw a program on TV about Jamaica, when suddenly I got goose bumps listening to Bob Marley. Of course, I didn't know who he was at the time. But getting in touch with his music, and reggae in general, made me feel like some kind of door to another world had just opened for me.
    What kind of music had the strongest impact on you when you were a kid?

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

We had a big library of previous generations' music when I was growing up, so that influenced my taste in music a lot. I was introduced to a lot of artists like Phil Collins, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. at a very young age and it continues to influence me to his day.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

The kind of music that made the biggest impression on me growing up was R&B. The artists in that genre who made a lasting impact on me were Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey. Of course there was Brandy, TLC, Envogue, Boyz II Men, Aaliyah, Monica, Immature, Mary J. Blige and the list is goes on and on. Old school R&B is my taste all the way.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

My all time favorite music was the 80's era. I had the leg warmers and of course the Big Hair all teased up. It's funny looking back at pictures, we all seemed to look alike.

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I grew up listening to the 90's alternative bands because of the influence of my big brothers. I was probably 12yrs old when i first become so interested in music. My brothers have this huge collection of MP3's mostly of Alternative Bands like, Lifehouse, Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Nine Days, Dishwalla, Splender, Incubus and so many others. And as a follower of my brothers, i listened to those bands as well.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I grew up listening to Pink Floyd and Metallica. Pink Floyd made the greatest impression on me. Metallica kinda changed after the Black album and haven't listened since then. Also, I was introduced to bands like Porcupine Tree and Tool which helped me understand music even better. Only then I realized that music is really complicated. I was surprised when I heard odd timed songs for the first time; I was dumbfounded when I found out that math was an important element in these odd songs. Currently, I'm listening to new progressive bands like Periphery, Intervals and Cloudkicker. These bands really impress me due to their complexity.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

The only songs I listened to when I was a kid were corny love songs. My older sister used to love those songs and even made me learn the lyrics and sing along with her when she played the songs. They didn't leave any impression on me though because at that age, falling in love was the last thing on my mind.

Super Moderator Yes Man bootymaimed's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I grew up with a bunch of different things - Country when my dad was around. Rock when I was with my mom and heavy metal when I was with my brother and uncle. Honestly, probably the biggest impact was probably the heavy metal, I don't know why, that just stuck with me the most and that's when I had the most fun.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/1
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I started listening to Back street boys music back in the 90's when i was 10.Then came Incubus Linkin Park..Pink floyd...
    BSB made the first big impression on me,and the reason i started hearing more albums.
    The latest affliction has been towards Eminem and Cloud Kicker..They are real favorites..and don't disappoint..!!

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I was made to listen to a lot of Classical style music when I was young, so that is probably the genre that influenced and had the biggest impression on me. I still enjoy hearing some Classical music, but not my favorite

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 32/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

When i was a kid, my parents had a few Elvis records. That's when my addiction to music started. I would listen to those records everyday. It's not like today, where people have thousands of mp3's and don't really appreciate what they have. A music record was a precious thing. You took care of it like it and loved it like a family member. I know it may sound corny, but that's the way it was. There was no internet in those days and every record in your collection was important.

Senior Member Yes Man Askanison's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/6
    Given: 43/7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I grew up with a Mom who, thankfully, had a wide variety of music tastes. Our house was always filled with music like Roy Orbison, Ray Charles, Al Green, the Beatles, the Doors, Waylon Jennings etc. You see it was a wide variety of different genres and styles. I like that it helped me appreciate all kinds of music and not just one specific genre.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 4/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

My moms music was classic salsa so that's what I grew up with, with a mix of late 80's and early 90's pop and latin pop.

Super Moderator Yes Man Swagawa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/1
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Rap for sure. It's what I love the most.
    If you're a Manchester United fan, or just someone that loves discussing football (soccer), then come check out my site, Red Devil Fans!

http://reddevilfans.com/index.php

We host tons of great contests that can see you winning Man Utd merchandise simply by posting!

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/1
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by May102014 View Post
    The kind of music that made the biggest impression on me growing up was R&B. The artists in that genre who made a lasting impact on me were Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey. Of course there was Brandy, TLC, Envogue, Boyz II Men, Aaliyah, Monica, Immature, Mary J. Blige and the list is goes on and on. Old school R&B is my taste all the way.
    That is the kind of music I grew up on too. I love everyone you listed. Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston are my absolute favorites. I still listen to their music today. There are so many people that I could add to the list that you mentioned that I listen to all of the time.