Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I don't think all songs are to be taken literally like for example, the Pink Floyd albums the wall, and the songs that talk about isolationism, and over throwing the school system is interpreted in so many ways that lots of people take them literally however that's not what the song had in mind. Some songs are made to just be enjoyed, they are made to be taken lightly and just party and have fun with. Some songs have great meanings and the artist really wanted you to know something and take it personally towards your life, but they just wanted to invoke thought not make decisions for you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/1
    Given: 23/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Songs with hidden messages can have a double standard. Some are harmless and fun while others are evil. I've noticed over the last few years that many of our top videos all have demonic symbolisms in them representing evil. The average person can't perceive it, but through repetition, these bad influential messages are stored by your sub-concious. This explains why our youth is so lost and act and think the way they do as a whole. What you use for entertainment purposes plays a role in how you think subliminally. However, if it's harmless then that's the true fun in it.

Senior Member Groupie Strykstar's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Livvy View Post
    The thing is though, the 'messages' you hear in reverse are just the result of playing any kind of audio backwards. You could record yourself reading off a page from a random book, and when you play it backwards you'd find some kind of message.
    Exactly, you hear certain sentences because your brain is looking for some sentences like that.
    If you look hard enough you find what you want, even when it's not there

Member Gang Member SpringBreeze's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 4/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think both and neither. Some lyrics are just lyrics. They have no meaning and no relation to the singer's life. But for those that do have meaning, I think it's fun to look into them. You can spend hours coming up with all sorts of scenarios. It's hard to know what the artist's intentions really are.

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It strictly depends on the song, in my opinion. Some have got only a catchy beat with no further important message, whilst some have got only a message to be heard.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Many times yousee people on YT claiming to have broken some secret code, and making some very believable breakdown, but sometimes you have a rapper clever enough to hide different meanings in their lyrics. Jay-Z likes to do this sometimes. He can make one song, and talk to two different audiences with the same lyrics.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/2
    Given: 13/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Until now I'm still baffled at how some songs manage to have hidden messages in them if you played them in reverse. And it would mean nothing if there were no words that could be deciphered, but there are, and it seems that mostly the messages were "bad" in nature. I guess the evil spirits made that happen.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I can see where one would believe the lyrics in songs. The question is whether or not the artist means what he/she says. I agree with an earlier response about the Beatles songs that were played in reverse. You can make a "sound" seem like a certain word, making it seem like there is a hidden message. And just because Charles Manson was involved doesn't mean that it's all evil. The rumors start and end quickly.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    Until now I'm still baffled at how some songs manage to have hidden messages in them if you played them in reverse. And it would mean nothing if there were no words that could be deciphered, but there are, and it seems that mostly the messages were "bad" in nature. I guess the evil spirits made that happen.
    What evil spirits?

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I actually believe that every good songs out there has meaning behind it. I think it would be hard to construct heartfelt phrases or metaphors in lyrics without any reference to it. Lyrics could come from personal experience or could be plain wishful thinking, either way, it came from the deeper side of the writer and he put a lot of thought into it. And for me, trying to figure out song meaning is almost as fun as listening to the song itself. Of course there's also those songs which obviously doesn't hold any hidden meaning behind it. Just plain words put into a song.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/2
    Given: 13/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Livvy View Post
    What evil spirits?
    Er, Satan and his minions. But I'm getting the impression that you don't think Satan exists?

Administrator Reliable Person mdemaz's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/2
    Given: 57/0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Are we talking about backmasking here?

Stairway to Heaven is a nice example of sneaky backmasking:

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    One site I visited recently is dedicated to deciphering song meanings. I've never thought that most songs were that deep but having read a few interpretations for a number of songs, I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about songs and what they mean.

Are the lyrics meant to be interpreted or should they be taken literally?
    Lyrics are meant to be interpreted but not necessarily to be deciphered. I don't believe that there is always a hidden message in every song. To interpret a song, for me, means to feel the song the way the listener understands it. There's no exact way to understand a song, some may take it literally and some may take it a little deeper than the others. The experiences of a person can even affect the way he or she interprets a lyric. When a composer writes a song, he or she sure wants to send a certain message to its listeners, but I think the writer knows right from the beginning that a song can be given various meanings the moment it reaches the ears of the listeners. But that's how it works. If people need to investigate every word or line of a song just to understand it, listening would not be that fun anymore.

Junior Member Rookie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

There are hidden messages in some songs, or messages that can be interpreted like subliminal mesaages. A good example would be "The Game - Ali Bomaye".

If you listen carefully you'll hear the girl voice saying "Lucifer will take your soul".

Banned Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 5/2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Lots of songs with hidden meanings about tragedies in artists lives. Sometimes you can't even tell but its just how they express themselves.