Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Difficulty in Artists Selling Albums

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Why is it hard for some artists to sell album nowadays, even when they have quality music? There is enough reason to believe that the music industry functions under an esoteric mission. Itís no longer how good you are at singing or playing instruments but rather what youíre willing to trade off in exchange for fame. Whether it be your integrity, morals, or innocence. The main criteria is how well a musician can bring across THE agenda to a conditioned people. What are your thoughts?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/1
    Given: 3/14
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Actually the main criteria is how well you can create a couple passable singles that people like and then keep catering to the masses. Artists and bands that try to do something meaningful or out of the box are often met with low album sales because only diehard fans will put up with such drastic changes. That's not always the case, but it still applies quite often.

Super Moderator Yes Man Swagawa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/1
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

There's just so many small factors that could effect how an artist is perceived, so I guess they lose a lot of sales because of very small things.
    If you're a Manchester United fan, or just someone that loves discussing football (soccer), then come check out my site, Red Devil Fans!

http://reddevilfans.com/index.php

We host tons of great contests that can see you winning Man Utd merchandise simply by posting!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Making it big has always been difficult since everyone wants a cut in the record industry. Actually, I'd argue it's EASIER to make it big compared to a few decades ago due to being able to bypass a lot of the record industry BS from social media websites and crowd funding resources. You're always going to get ripped somehow if you want to make it in showbiz but at least there's more alleys to get there if you want it.

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

If you're not willing to work with your audience online you're not going to sell much really. It doesn't matter how hard you work on your music, if you can't reach out to your fans from time to time online then they won't pay attention to you. That's just how I see it for now, every artist that's doing well has quite a following online that shares their stuff all the time.

Senior Member Yes Man latoya0511's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Given: 1/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I feel like this day in age things have changed especially technology.A lot of people dont buy cds anymore. If they purchase music its from itunes or something like that. Another issue is people bootleggiing music. I feel more artist need to connect more with their fans. I want to know who i am spending my money on. If it wasnt for the fans there would be no artist.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It's difficult nowadays because there's just too many options available, so everyone has to compete way harder for the public's attention. These days, anyone can make music from their bedrooms, so a lot more people are doing it and putting out their music, add on to that the music libraries of the previous decades and it really gets difficult to find a place within it all.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    It's difficult nowadays because there's just too many options available, so everyone has to compete way harder for the public's attention. These days, anyone can make music from their bedrooms, so a lot more people are doing it and putting out their music, add on to that the music libraries of the previous decades and it really gets difficult to find a place within it all.
    I really like your last point. There's just so much music out already, that it's extremely hard to make something that stands out. Almost everything has already been done, so there's not much room for innovation.

Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Because albums are so outdated. people nowadays just torrent the albums online and they're not paying anything, artist should start to find a new way to earn money like concerts and similar things.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Exactly. I know it's wrong but I haven't actually purchased an album in yearss. I've downloaded every single album I have. I agree with Martindrox, artists should try to find a different way to make money because it's going to become very hard for their fans to continue buying their albums when a quick google search can get it to them for free.

Super Moderator Yes Man Colebra's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/1
    Given: 23/1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by May102014 View Post
    Why is it hard for some artists to sell album nowadays, even when they have quality music? There is enough reason to believe that the music industry functions under an esoteric mission. Itís no longer how good you are at singing or playing instruments but rather what youíre willing to trade off in exchange for fame. Whether it be your integrity, morals, or innocence. The main criteria is how well a musician can bring across THE agenda to a conditioned people. What are your thoughts?
    This girl has got to be trollin...
    It's like asking why Morse Code lost it's steam...

Artist make their most of their income on tour these days. It must be pretty fucking hard let me tell ya...
    I messed around with music for a bit, and I toured Europe twice... Not looking much into to doing that again!
    But then again, we did it the Portuguese Gipsy style

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 32/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I've asked myself the same question many times. I've listened to underground bands that are way better than any mainstream band i've heard. You need to be a mainstream band or singer to make it these days. The music labels are only interested in what they know will sell. That's why you see all these talentess bands and artists flooding the radio, while the good stuff stays underground and unrecognized.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/1
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

This is a very interesting question. I wonder why it is so hard for people to sell music now too. I guess the buying public can be so fickle when it comes to music. They will love you one minute and hate you the next. I have heard some pretty good cds, but for some reason they haven't sold that many copies. For example, Babyface and Toni Braxton's duet cd was amazing yet it didn't sell as many copies as it should have sold.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think it all largely depends on what the media is promoting. A lot of people are literally brainwashed by what the media or their social websites advertise. A lot of artists don't get the attention or appreciation that they deserve, simply because they are "moving in the wrong circles". Promotion is everything. I see so many bands that I personally regard as less than mediocre, and yet there they are, loud and proud, with the public adoring them.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

By keeping it real, know what their fans expect form them ,by that I mean the type of music and strive to better their music and maintaining their fans.