User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has going to the movies become obsolete?

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As long as there is a dude tryin to get some action from a new female, or as long as they make movies females are anxious to have you take them too, the movies will always be in effect. Have you seen the kind of box office numbers the movie industry still pulls in.

For people who enjoy the real cinema experience, the movies cannot be replaced by Redbox or Netflix.

Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I still go to the movies, but not a lot because it is expensive. I go for really good movies that I really want to see, sometimes if you wait to see them a year or two later when they are on netflix, someone on facebook/twitter would probably post spoilers therefore ruining the entire movie.

Super Moderator Yes Man Swagawa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/1
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

In the Caribbean it's fun because you can get tickets, popcorn, and drinks for 10$, but in the states it's just a joke, because the ticket alone is 10$, then the drinks and popcorn is another 15$ or so.
    If you're a Manchester United fan, or just someone that loves discussing football (soccer), then come check out my site, Red Devil Fans!

http://reddevilfans.com/index.php

We host tons of great contests that can see you winning Man Utd merchandise simply by posting!

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/1
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Honestly..I love going to the theater! No matter how fancy a home theater watch might have become.The reason being the bigger screen, better sound and its more exciting.It never will turn obsolete,Movie theaters will continue to exist, and even stats show that ticket sales recorded only profits in the past five years.

Senior Member Groupie Gelsemium's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think that there are more and more alternatives to the movies, that is why it's less popular, people find other things to do.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

No definitely not! I think now it's more popular than ever before just because it's such a cheap day out. It's more of an experience when you go to the movies. I find that if I watch a film at the cinema then I'll enjoy it regardless of how good the movie actually is.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 6/1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Nah, movies are still fun to watch.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think it was dealt a significant blow with the arrival of better home theaters, but they seem to be keeping up enough to stay relevant. Cinemas nowadays are way nicer and often have a lot of gimmicks to separate themselves from the home experience, such as the recent 3D trend and now there's even butler service in some of the higher priced ones.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I normally wait on a movie to go to DVD, but when there is a 3-D movie, I try to get to the movie theater to see it; bigger screens and more interesting. The last movie I seen at the movies was 'Godzilla' in 3-D, and enjoyed it very much.
    The problem I have with going to the movies, they are outrageous priced! For 2 people, we spent over 40 bucks!

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 8/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Nah I don't really think movies can become absolete, the movie industry is thriving just like all the big industries, like video, gaming, food, drinks industries, they are all stuff that people couldn't live without.
    You go to the mall, you go see a movie most probably.
    New batman or superman movie comes out, you're gonna go see it cause all your friends will and you don't wanna be left out.
    When any big franchise movie appears, more than half the wold goes to see the premiere, its just how it is.

So no, I don't think it has become absolete, quite the opposite in recent years.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

To be honest there is not much you can't do on the internet these days. Whatever is playing in the movies you can find it on the internet and watch it at home. I just do that right now. Unless someone just wants to go.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swagawa View Post
    In the Caribbean it's fun because you can get tickets, popcorn, and drinks for 10$, but in the states it's just a joke, because the ticket alone is 10$, then the drinks and popcorn is another 15$ or so.
    The question is, if you are in the Caribbean, why do you go to the movies?
    Cashis music videos, check them out!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfromwa View Post
    What I really love about the drive-ins, they are always a double feature. 2 movies for the price of one!
    Last one I went to was Godzilla and Transformers so it was a nice little nerd out. Nice day too, not like the humid filthy days of summer there usually is around here.

The only problem with that is you don't get out until like 1 AM so either I'm tired because it's past time I usually go to sleep or I'm tired from drinking a few beers.

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't go to the movies as often as I used to, it just in't worth wasting good money to watch movies that aren't good, I prefer to wait and watch them online. However, when something good comes out I go to the movies for it, nothing at home can compare to the big screen, good sound effects and ambiance at the movie theater.

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think they just need to change up the movie game. VOD is really the future of movies, and finding a way to break down the piracy pipeline. Like, if they can figure out a way to code films so they can't be recorded while streaming from VOD (yeah right, good luck with that) the rental/home cinema market will grow. Honestly, people are lazy or afraid of breaking the law so they will rent a movie and pay top dollar the same first few weeks it is released in the theater. Even if they can find it somewhere free online, it's so much easier to click a button on your remote.