User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has going to the movies become obsolete?

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 32/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Has going to the movies become obsolete?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As you all know, you can find mostly every movie you want online. It's been ages since i went to the movies, and i want to know if you guys still take the time to go out and watch a movie. I know there are films that at the moment you can only watch them at the movies. But if you wait a little while, they soon appear in some site online. Movies or Netflix?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Honestly I just wait, and it's rare for me to go to the movies.

Senior Member Yes Man ImNotHodor's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/0
    Given: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I rarely ever go, except when I am out with friends and that's still only every few months or so when we decide on going. Everyone I know streams Netflix.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/1
    Given: 23/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It all depends on the person. I personally don't think the movies will ever become obsolete do to kids and families. Most families don't want to sit to watch movies online. They like to take their children out to the movies for the atmosphere. I too like you go every now and then & the only reason is if it's something I really want to see & because they've added bars & plush leather recliners out here in Kc to our movie theaters with better food.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/1
    Given: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    As you all know, you can find mostly every movie you want online. It's been ages since i went to the movies, and i want to know if you guys still take the time to go out and watch a movie. I know there are films that at the moment you can only watch them at the movies. But if you wait a litte while, they soon appear in some site online. Movies or Netflix?
    I really love going to the movies all the time when I can. I really enjoy getting out of the house and going inside where the air conditioning is cool. I like using my Regal Cinema rewards card to get free rewards.

Junior Member Lil' Homie chrisfromwa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I'm actually finding myself going to movies more often than in the past.

The theaters around here, have been trying to combat home theaters the past few years.
    The one I like has a VIP section, only cost .75 cents more and you get bigger seats, nobody under 21, and you can have drinks/popcorn delivered right to your seat.

Same theater also has those new motion seats, haven't tried those yet. But might be fun on an action movie.

Also, Drive-In Movies are making a comeback in my state. We have 4 that have converted to digital and I have to say, seeing that for the first time was like watching a giant flat panel outside. It was awesome.
    Need help with your system?
    Car Audio Central

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Nah I still go to the Drive-In around here. There's a store nearby they have an agreement with so you can grab a case of beer with some friends and watch two movies for about 11 bucks. It's great when it's hot out and you got nothing else to do.

Also really like Imax for some of the big stomper movies like The Avengers and Godzilla.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReinbachThe3rd View Post
    Nah I still go to the Drive-In around here. There's a store nearby they have an agreement with so you can grab a case of beer with some friends and watch two movies for about 11 bucks. It's great when it's hot out and you got nothing else to do.

Also really like Imax for some of the big stomper movies like The Avengers and Godzilla.
    Wait you have a drive-in theater where you live? I remember my parents talking about that at one time. I never been to the Imax which the nearest one for me is all the way in Dublin.

Senior Member Yes Man mcjonesqwe's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 11/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Drive-ins are getting some attention around here too. I went to one two weeks ago and it's just a fun time.

I'd be lying if I said I pay to go to the movies a lot though. I absolutely love going, I just hate paying $8-10 for something that I could just watch for free later.

Definitely not obsolete though man.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 4/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

We have a drive in here. There used to be many but the all closed years ago. The one we have is pretty old and has never closed, it's not a new one.

Anyways I think going to the movies isn't obsolete because you can't really replicate the experience of that on your home. I love going to the movies because of the sound, like i have a surround system at home but it doesn't compare to the sound you get on the theater. I really enjoy that experience. Besides theaters are profitable business, the tickets might be cheap but they sell food as their main product. People go not because they want to see a movie but because they want to go out and have a good time. I don't see that going away.

I don't have imax here but I would die to one day experience that.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Profit5500 View Post
    Wait you have a drive-in theater where you live? I remember my parents talking about that at one time. I never been to the Imax which the nearest one for me is all the way in Dublin.
    Out in STL where I grew up there's one 20-25 minutes from downtown and another about an hour and a half from there. The one farther out is pretty shitty but the one closest to STL is pretty dang good and has actually been growing instead of shrinking. I think part of it is the fact it's fairly cheap and the proximity to a grocery store to avoid outrageous concession stand prices. The stand there mainly deals in hot foods you can't get at the grocery store though.

They're all new movies too, so it's not like they're cheaping out there.

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I still like to go to the movies sometimes if its a really good movie, just so I can see it with great sound and a huge screen. But usually I just wait until I can rent the movie or watch it on netflix. The movies are just way too expensive.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It's nice to see a movie in the theater sometimes. Like Gravity from last year, that shit's just not the same at home unless you got some sick pimped out home cinema system.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

idk bout you guys but some of these movies are like 2-3 hrs long and i need to pee!!! if im at the theater i cant pause that shit. i like that 4k tvs are out and going down in price. my custom openelec xbmc media center can handle 4k media. its just a matter of time when 1080p bluray gets replaced. i dont mind waiting a few months for a theater release to come out on media.
    Major label, independent and unsigned rap, trap, hiphop, and rnb music streaming live 24/7.
    Tune in to Det0nator Radio tun.in/seL1t

Junior Member Lil' Homie chrisfromwa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReinbachThe3rd View Post
    Out in STL where I grew up there's one 20-25 minutes from downtown and another about an hour and a half from there. The one farther out is pretty shitty but the one closest to STL is pretty dang good and has actually been growing instead of shrinking. I think part of it is the fact it's fairly cheap and the proximity to a grocery store to avoid outrageous concession stand prices. The stand there mainly deals in hot foods you can't get at the grocery store though.

They're all new movies too, so it's not like they're cheaping out there.
    What I really love about the drive-ins, they are always a double feature. 2 movies for the price of one!
    Need help with your system?
    Car Audio Central