Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Amazon seeks US permission to test Prime Air delivery drones

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...elivery-drones

It is Glastonbury 2024, and you've got a front-row spot for the headline act, the Rolling Stones, concluding their fifth farewell tour. You need a drink badly, so you get out your smartphone and dial up a drone, which within minutes delivers a plastic bottle from the bar a mile away.

Science fiction? Not necessarily, after the online retailer Amazon revealed that it had written to the US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) asking to test drones that could fly at up to 50mph and for 30 minutes at a time to deliver packages weighing up to 5lb (2.3kg).

In the letter (pdf), Amazon's head of public policy, Paul Misener, says that "in the past five months we have made advancements towards the development of highly automated aerial vehicles" for its new service, which it calls Amazon Prime Air. Misener says the five-pound limit covers 86% of products sold on Amazon.

Meanwhile, the FAA's British counterpart told the Guardian that it could foresee a time when, once drones have proven their airworthiness and ability to avoid obstacles safely, they would be allowed to operate autonomously. Under current legislation, Britain bans drones from being used within 50 metres of a building or person, and insists they must remain within line of sight typically 500 metres of the operator.

"The line of sight provision could go away some time in the future when we see a device able to make decisions about avoiding whatever objects are out there," said a Civil Aviation Authority spokesman. "They would also have to avoid other aerial obstacles, of course." Would-be operators would have to demonstrate the potential safety of their devices to the CAA to win permission.

Given a 25-mile range, Amazon's drones could serve an area of nearly 2,000 sq miles far greater than the 609 sq miles inside the M25, which has a maximum radius of less than 20 miles.

Future improvements to drones could mean they would be available to all sorts of companies, according to one academic expert. Darren Ansell, aerospace engineering lead at the University of Central Lancashire, said: "A pizza company might not want to own and operate drones so you could have operators offering a sort of transportation or postal-style service."

Read more on site.

Senior Member Groupie pascualTO's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

This is going to be both amazing and scary. You know some little kid is gonna get his hand cut off trying to play with this drone when it lands in his front yard. lol

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

This is going to be amazing! I can imagine their being a new illegal sport formed of "shoot down the Amazon drone". It's scary and amaziing as pascualTO said that technology is improving at this rate!

Senior Member Groupie firelily99's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It is amazing technology but it has already run into problems. They have had problems around airplanes so at some point the FAA is going to step in and regulate them if they haven't already.

Banned Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I'm certain that if they are having problems around airplanes then either the planes or the drones are not at the proper altitude. Planes are not supposed to fly so low and into air space where you would expect to find drones.

I just have one question though: When do I get my pizza flown to me? - Like A BOSS!

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

This is amazing news, and I hope that more companies do similar stuff. Imagine how great it would be to be able to order some critical camping supplies and have a drone deliver it to you in the middle of the woods... Technology is just great. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how they would drop things into the mailbox. LOL

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/1
    Given: 3/14
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Guys, this won't develop far. The liability is too high for a company, and navigation systems in drones are easy enough to hack into and sabotage. Amazon's stock is taking a hit thanks to some major missteps, and this is seen as one of those missteps by investors.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 6/1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I wonder if the Russians will shoot these things down too.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I've been reading about this for a few months and I am not please. I don't want drones coming anywhere near my home to drop off a package. When I think of drones, I think of innocent civilians being killed in attacks meant for terrorists. No thank you Amazon. I'll stick to the regular postal service for my deliveries.

Senior Member Yes Man mcjonesqwe's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 11/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I hate these things. They're going to take away my job in the future (if they somehow find a way to work), and someone could easily shoot down your pricey TV from the air and take it. These things will never last, the US air space system is too tight to let drones from a shopping company go anywhere they want.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

When this things start falling all over the place, we will begin to live in the interesting times. Can't wait that some dildo carrying drone hits me in the head while I am trying to get my drunk ass back home at 3 am.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I agree with pascualTO that it is both amazing and scary. I can't wait for this to come to fruition as I'm very curiosa to see how the world would look like once these things become standard. What I'm worried about, however, is that once it does become standard, then someone will the use it for constant surveillance.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

When I first heard about it I said the Amazon guys are crazy. There's no way they can pull this off. Apparently though, they were serious about using drones to deliver goods to customers within hours. Sounds great, yeah but along with that comes many risks.

Still . . . I wonder if they'll be allowed to use the drones by the government.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by May102014 View Post
    I've been reading about this for a few months and I am not please. I don't want drones coming anywhere near my home to drop off a package. When I think of drones, I think of innocent civilians being killed in attacks meant for terrorists. No thank you Amazon. I'll stick to the regular postal service for my deliveries.
    Come on, now... don't see things that way... If people refused to back mail tracking because they saw mail tracking as something reserved for dangerous or suspect packages where would we be today? If people said they didn't want huge planes delivering mail because it reminded them of saturation bombing which also killed several civilians, where would we be? Try to look at this with an open mind.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I wonder if it's possible for human beings to actually move around on their own and do the things that we used to do before all of this amazing technology came about. I think it would be a very dangerous thing if this is allowed to happen. When does it all end? We live in such a lazy society and everybody wants everything right now! it is very unfortunate. Human beings were designed to do things themselves, not have everything done for them. I agree that the liability of having drones flying around would not only be an other invasion of privacy, but it would also be very dangerous as well.