Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I used to listen to Christian rap and I really got into Papa San but he's Jamaican so you probably wouldn't understand what he was saying however from the post I've read it seems like the artist you mentioned are pretty good so hopefully this thread will continue to give them exposure. And like someone stated most Christians are less likely to listen to rap so I hope they keep up the good work because they're reaching someone out there who's listening.

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

mad skills dawg... but they should use their skills for real rap, not this...

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I am not a christian rap fan, but I have heard some dudes that sound like secular rappers. These guys are good rappers, but they will obviously not get the mass appeal of secular artist. The industry is run by devils that won't promote this sub genre.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by healthandfitness View Post
    I am not a christian rap fan, but I have heard some dudes that sound like secular rappers. These guys are good rappers, but they will obviously not get the mass appeal of secular artist. The industry is run by devils that won't promote this sub genre.
    exactly.. the Illuminati

Junior Member Rookie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

No, I do not much care for Christian/Gospel Hip-hop. Some of my friends listen to it, and in my opinion it is garbage (at least, the artists they have recommended to me are garbage).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hun10sta View Post
    No, I do not much care for Christian/Gospel Hip-hop. Some of my friends listen to it, and in my opinion it is garbage (at least, the artists they have recommended to me are garbage).
    I'm just not into religious stuff

Senior Member Yes Man mcjonesqwe's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 11/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think it's awesome. Religion is a great thing to rap about. It's really deep and a lot of people have some really life-altering things having to do with it. That's what makes good rap, good deep content. There's a lot of cool people on youtube now too that do slam poetry about it. I think it's pretty good stuff. Those videos posted on here are pretty good examples.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think it's a shame that some very talented guys get stuck in the "christian rap" genre. Too often their lyrics get way too preachy and it drowns the beat. I wish guys like Andy Mineo would branch out a little bit. Maybe do a couple of Christian themed records, but not a whole album. I mean the guy can obviously do what he wants to do. Maybe he has an evangelistic goal, maybe he's not about making money or branching out to get more fans. If that's the case, my hat's off to him: that's a badass thing to do.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/1
    Given: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcjonesqwe View Post
    I think it's awesome. Religion is a great thing to rap about. It's really deep and a lot of people have some really life-altering things having to do with it. That's what makes good rap, good deep content. There's a lot of cool people on youtube now too that do slam poetry about it. I think it's pretty good stuff. Those videos posted on here are pretty good examples.
    I can agree Religion is cool to rap about especially when you do not have to use curse words to get around. I can just listen to some good lyrics and have a decent flow. I do not think you have to just rap about Jesus you can expand on other subjects on Religion.

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tilda View Post
    I think it's a shame that some very talented guys get stuck in the "christian rap" genre. Too often their lyrics get way too preachy and it drowns the beat. I wish guys like Andy Mineo would branch out a little bit. Maybe do a couple of Christian themed records, but not a whole album. I mean the guy can obviously do what he wants to do. Maybe he has an evangelistic goal, maybe he's not about making money or branching out to get more fans. If that's the case, my hat's off to him: that's a badass thing to do.
    If it's their choice to go with that genre then I can get that, but it's not like being a Christian and being a rapper are mutually exclusive or anything. There's a difference between music that has Christian themes (artists staying real to their roots and what means the most to them) and "Christian music" that's all about preaching.

I expect they get the same backlash from fundies about making "devil music" as every other Christian musician does if their songs aren't all preachy though. I remember the anger over Mumford and Sons (not a fan personally, but a lot of strong Christian themes in their lyrics) swearing in their songs - because "true Christians" never swear, right? Meanwhile average young Christians like myself at the time connected with and got more with their lyrics than any of the sound-alike garbage on Christian radio at the time.

Administrator Reliable Person mdemaz's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/2
    Given: 57/0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prey View Post
    mad skills dawg... but they should use their skills for real rap, not this...
    What's real rap, though? If your answer is storytelling and shit, then these guys do do that.

Junior Member Lil' Homie faithful's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Wow, I was surprised. I didn't expect to hear good music. I remember hearing one Christian song a few years back and that totally put me off listening to Christian music. But I just checked that Andy Mineo video and I really liked it. I can actually see myself listening to Christian music. Thanks for posting this. So I will check through the list that you placed at the top of this post and see which other artists I will grow to like.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/1
    Given: 23/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/tha-admiral/good Check this out & tell me what you think. I love Gospel & Conscious rap. This song is by me called Good Slow Love"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by licklozay View Post
    I think that Christian rappers of really managed to step up their game up. There was a time when Christian rap really couldn't compare to anything in the secular world. They music was refined and it wasn't punished. The rappers didn't have great lyrics and the art wasn't truly crafted. Over time there managed to develop this skill and have become a force to reckon with. The beats in the production has really grown and developed in the style has also change with the times. Christian rappers and now up there with the best of and the music is doing well
    Well you have to remember, the first rappers were learning as well. If you look at the very, very original beats they're not nearly as good as those produced years later, even from the same artists because now they had gained more skill, refined their art and were just generally better at it than they were when they were starting out. Practice makes perfect after all. Same thing with these guys;they're practicing and learning from those who went before them in the same scene

Junior Member Rookie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Christian music font goes unnoticed, but I think these artist have done good by changing it up with a little bit of rap in their music. Toby Mac is a good example