Received: 8/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I never liked remixes. To me, nine times out of ten, they sound bad. I never understood how a perfectly good song of perhaps five minutes had to be stretched out into some experimental half an hour. It just kills it for me. I have only heard very few remixes that actually sounded better than the original, but they tend to be short and introduce some unusual elements that give the song something unique.

Super Moderator Yes Man Swagawa's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/1
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I remember when Marilyn Manson remixed Sweet Dreams, and he made it actually better, which is cool. And HIM remixed Don't Fear The Reaper, and made a nice and dark version.
    Basically, I like when they remix an old song into a darker version, but when it pretty much stays the same it gets annoying.
    A lot of these techno mixes on the radio now a days take songs that are already good, and put some garbage generic techno beat behind it and call it a techno remix, and ruins the whole song, that's when remixing stuff annoys me.
    If you're a Manchester United fan, or just someone that loves discussing football (soccer), then come check out my site, Red Devil Fans!

http://reddevilfans.com/index.php

We host tons of great contests that can see you winning Man Utd merchandise simply by posting!

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I agree fiveby five. Sometimes just by changing the beat or even the instruments used will change a song entirely, in my opinion. What may have had great lyrics but didn't appeal to someone because of it's instrumentals sometimes becomes a song listened to by fans of other genres. Remixes create new songs ultimately.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/1
    Given: 3/14
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I prefer remixes that actually bring something new to the table and sound good. It's hard to find those kinds of remixes today, though.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't like it when they don't change much either. It makes the song feel more like an amateur cover song and even though I dislike the idea that people might pay good money for such a phoned in product, I at least appreciate that it introduces more people to the original song.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/11
    Given: 115/21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Is there any point in making a remix of a song if the singer is changing maybe nothing but the beat? I've listened to a number of such songs and to be honest, I didn't find them impressive at all.

Has anyone here listened to a remix that's practically no different from the original song but which is even worse than the original song?
    Well, if a musician wants to add their own flavor to a song & -if that musician's fans like their flavor then nothing's stopping them. Are you saying that if you appreciated a musician's style (like I do Stefani Angelina "Lady Gaga" Germanotta), 'hearing them use their style on a previously recorded song' would throw you off of that artist's fan-list?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Not necessarily but I've heard some songs which don't get any better than the originals ones. An artist's style of rendering an old song would only appeal to me if the artist 'does the song justice' by singing better than the original artist. Because most don't, most cover songs and remixes tend to be really bad.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Also hate them, the same way I hate remakes of movies. There's nothing original anymore. Everything is a remake, or the remake of a remake. Of course I don't mind sampling, sampling is an art. Sampling is like using someone's else "blue" in your own painting. But I don't like full remixes.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/1
    Given: 3/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

A remix can either make a song sound better or worse. I remember listening to a number of remixes of for the song "I'm On One" and they did not sound too bad. Then I went back to listening to the original version and felt no effect.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/1
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't like when remixes are no different from the original song. There is no point in remixing the song if it sounds the same.

Senior Member Groupie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I have never been a fan of remixes. They almost never sound better than the original. There is a reason that it is an afterthought (because the original was the right one).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think some artist remix a song and actually think that people will think that it's a brand new song. In fact, when the music isn't the same, it does seem as though it's new, but usually it's terrible. I don't like remixes at all.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/11
    Given: 115/21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Not necessarily but I've heard some songs which don't get any better than the originals ones. An artist's style of rendering an old song would only appeal to me if the artist 'does the song justice' by singing better than the original artist. Because most don't, most cover songs and remixes tend to be really bad.
    Can you name any specifically (for each way)?

Quote Originally Posted by milyjohnson View Post
    I don't like when remixes are no different from the original song. There is no point in remixing the song if it sounds the same.
    Well, there is; but only for the artist herself (or her fans).

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 1/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I'm not a fan of remixes in general either. Like, there's a few specific ones that manage to be as good as or better than the originals (there's a few REALLY good Rammstein remixes, for example), but a large amount of them are just awful.

Senior Member Yes Man latoya0511's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Given: 1/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I have listened to songs that i felt were better than the original and others that they should have not even attempted.