Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Old Songs Rehashed . . .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Is there any point in making a remix of a song if the singer is changing maybe nothing but the beat? I've listened to a number of such songs and to be honest, I didn't find them impressive at all.

Has anyone here listened to a remix that's practically no different from the original song but which is even worse than the original song?

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

See the thing is remixes can cause people to listen to the music that otherwise wouldn't have been listened to. For instance it will bring a whole new group of people that are into a certain style or genre to the music which can even increase sales for both versions.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

So basically, remixes are only good for the artists. As long as they can make money from the same old song, it's "screw the rest of the guys who'd heard it before?"

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Well, you can't blame them if people are willing to listen to the music and still pay for it, downloading, do whatever with it. They're trying to make money who could blame them?

Senior Member Groupie darlynda09's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/1
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I like the Otis, by Kanye & JayZ.. if that counts.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

This is on the same topic as people rehashing and remaking old movies. Remember there are different generations and some people never heard the original songs. I like how Problem remixed the "how you do that there" song by Young Bleed and had Master P on the remix of it too. Atleast that remake was good but nothing beats the original. But just because you can remix a song doesn't mean you should. I don't know. I think I got mixed feelings on this. Lmao.

Senior Member Yes Man Whitewolf2578's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I really kind of hate remixes of songs as it 98 percent of the time ruins the song for you, they take a lot of 80s songs I have noticed and put a bunch of stuff that sounds like clicks and whistles in the arrangement and then they rap to it, it just sounds horrible. There are a few remixes that are good, but a lot of them just kill the original.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

what about these so called remixes where all it is is someone adding a few more bars lol. or those remixes where they go karaoke on someone elses instrumental. i hate that shit tbh.
    Major label, independent and unsigned rap, trap, hiphop, and rnb music streaming live 24/7.
    Tune in to Det0nator Radio tun.in/seL1t

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I am not a fan of remixes especially remakes. I mean, what's the point of releasing something that has already been done! I'm more for original stuff. I don't mind those artists giving tribute to those artists who created some classic stuff. But it's annoying to remake songs and have that as your main product. Imagine if somebody remixed Bach and Stravinsky or Beethoven. I mean, those are done for a reason. No need to rehash.

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't like 90% of remixes. Some aren't bad and there are a few gems but other than that I'd rather listen to the original. From experience most remixes are free releases no?

Senior Member Yes Man Whitewolf2578's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I agree with you there. It is like "Make up your own crap, stop stealing from other artists ya bum!" I have seen a lot of rappers take sounds made by Phil Collins and turn them into Rap songs, that kind of stuff ruins it.

Senior Member Yes Man
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/2
    Given: 32/0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I hate remixes of old songs. I think it's just a clever way for labels to garantee a hit song and make lots of money. It's very easy taking a song that was a huge hit, throw in some different things here and there, and make it your own. The producers of the TV show Glee know exactly what i'm talking about. In my opinion, that show has been successful because of the rehashing of old hits. That's kind of low in my opinion, but if people like it, then i guess there's no harm done.

Junior Member Lil' Homie faithful's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Well, there's nothing new. Every 'original' song had infulence from somewhere, so it's basically a remix too. It just depends how well it is executed. The music I grew up listening to (the 90's by the way) in considered classic by the generation of today. The same goes for movies and everything in general. So artists do it better, some don't. It does suck if it's just the beat that changes, as if the artist wasn't involved in the remix.

Member Roadie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf2578 View Post
    I agree with you there. It is like "Make up your own crap, stop stealing from other artists ya bum!" I have seen a lot of rappers take sounds made by Phil Collins and turn them into Rap songs, that kind of stuff ruins it.
    For some reason i don't think you really listen to Hip Hop music at all. You are probably thinking of Puffy and that song made for biggie. Even then he got permission from Phil Collins and even had Phil Collins resang the hook along with other artist. Atleast he didn't use the same verse and actually sang the same exact song. This was called sampling. Even tho it was sampling in the most simplistic way. DMX also sampled some Phil collins (I think it's called in the air or I can feel it in the air tonight) something like that but he sampled Phil collins too and it sounded dope. If you don't like that then you are not a fan of rap music. There's plenty of singers in other genre's who completely technically steals the who song even tho they get clearance. Atleast some of these rappers just sample certain parts instead of remaking everything. Anyways, your post got me feeling a certain way.

Senior Member Yes Man mcjonesqwe's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 11/1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Yeah I hate remixes and always have. What really put me over the edge with them lately is the remix of All of You by John Legend. Who the hell hears a song like that and thinks, "I have to make a dance version of that!" It sound so incredibly bad and forced that I feel guilty for hearing it for 2 seconds. Remixes always suck and ruin the song for me.