User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Hip Hop Had Any Effect on Young People?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/4
    Given: 6/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Has Hip Hop Had Any Effect on Young People?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I think save for cementing stereotypes in peoples minds hip hop has done much to address social issues. You may say, hey but there are other platforms. While hip hop doesn't technically target African Americans only, a large of them listen to the music so had rappers actually wanted to inspire young people to work harder in order to be successful then maybe we'd have seen some change.

It's not the work of music [to educate the youth] but when it can be the right medium to use to reach more young people, why not use it?

What do you guys think?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 2/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think that both music and sports have a huge influence on young people. If we are lucky enough to play an instrument or sing we have a good healthy entertainment that can prevent us to occupy our time doing worse things.
    Cashis music videos, check them out!

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It's funny because people always claim that rap doesn't have anything to do with what is going on with kids today. And I have defended this stance in the past, but being almost 30 years of age, I have noticed how wrong I was. While Hip-Hop is not to blame solely, artists and others involved have to understand the amount of influence they have on our youth. It is like when Charles Barkley said while he was still playing, "I am not a role model".

Unfortunately, whether you intended or not, you are that role model. Some youth don't have anyone they can connect with in their lives. They don't have a responsible party in their life to raise them. So they take influence from what they 'ingest'. And music is so strong a medium, they may be influenced negatively and not even realize it. The positive and productive music gets pushed to the side line, and the negative is glorified.

What needs to be realized is that the adults that are producing the music are sometimes 30-40 years old. The audience is normally 13-21. Preaching gunplay, drug use, alcoholism and violence to a 13 year old is not wise. They look at the artists as a goal for themselves (look how many young people want to get into music now). And most feel that in order to be relevant they must also do these things -- not knowing that most of these rappers have no record and no history of what they speak.

So yes there has been an effect

Administrator Reliable Person mdemaz's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/2
    Given: 57/0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks

It had a huge impact on me. Whenever I used to get harassed at school, I'd always write raps and shit. It helped sorta ease my rage. As I got older, I was less angry, because I made friends that were into music and we all felt the same way about life.

Music brings people together, and it's an outlet to help deal with stress.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 6/1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Because rap got so big in the early '00s, it was easy to get exposed to it; and thus, get into it at a young age. It was also a way for us to get into other forms of music too. While we were waiting for our favorite rapper to come on TV, a cool band or producer would come on like Linkin Park and Fatboy Slim, and we would start jamming to that.

I think it's good that rap music exists! it appeals so easily to the youth of today, and it helps form a gateway to other forms of music so that you can really enjoy music to the maximum.

Administrator Reliable Person mdemaz's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/2
    Given: 57/0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks

God, you have a way with words, David.

I agree 100%.

Junior Member Noob
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

To be honest, it even has an effect on me.. I sometimes listen to TI, DMX (I kno, I kno) or old Lox albums while riding. And find myself mugging everybody.. I am looking for reasons to 'pop off' lol... It's sad but true...

Member Gang Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Yes, but a rather negative one, because they tend to take the lyrics too literally, sometimes going suicidal or even homicidal. Eminem, for example, had had a rather funny approach for rap in the past years before starting to go depressive in his songs, which negative approach influenced NEGATIVELY influenced most of his fans. Luckily enough, there are people who can control themselves in what concerns the seriousness of some songs, but unluckily for some, they just can't bear it. Hell, my neighbour has recently died because this particular reason. Poor kid.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/16
    Given: 65/4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidgarcia View Post
    Because rap got so big in the early '00s, it was easy to get exposed to it; and thus, get into it at a young age. It was also a way for us to get into other forms of music too. While we were waiting for our favorite rapper to come on TV, a cool band or producer would come on like Linkin Park and Fatboy Slim, and we would start jamming to that.

I think it's good that rap music exists! it appeals so easily to the youth of today, and it helps form a gateway to other forms of music so that you can really enjoy music to the maximum.
    This dude I got bullied when i was younger, and rap helped me survive

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

just look at the history of hiphop starting from day 1 to present.
    Major label, independent and unsigned rap, trap, hiphop, and rnb music streaming live 24/7.
    Tune in to Det0nator Radio tun.in/seL1t

Junior Member Lil' Homie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I think hip-hop has had a negative impact in kids only in that they aren't able to separate the music from its message.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

lets not forget that hiphop as a culture isnt just rap. there are other elements to it such as djing, graffiti and bboying. of those 3 elements im rather amazed at their positive influence on todays generation.
    Major label, independent and unsigned rap, trap, hiphop, and rnb music streaming live 24/7.

Junior Member Rookie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

To say that hip-hop has not had any effect on young people would be complete and utter ignorance. As far as I'm concerned hip-hop has managed to influence and change a generation. The effect on culture and lifestyle that hip-hop has had is more influential than anything out there. Across the globe you have people from different cultures racism and even generations influenced solely by hip-hop. The linking factor that they have is hip-hop. So in my perspective hip-hop has deftly had a huge impact in the huge effect on young people.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

dont forget the influence hiphop has had on other genres too.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I don't know if the same thing happens in USA and other countries, but here in Brasil probably 80% of the black kids from the favelas would never be exposed to people like MLK, Mandela and Fela Kuti if it wasn't for rap...

Well, if it wasnt for rap I probably wouldn't be able to comunicate with you right now. And for the last months I've been contemplating about moving to USA to achieve bigger things, so yeah... I think Hip Hop has a huge effect in youth, at least based on my personal experience. And its important to note that we're not talking only about rap music... Hip Hop as a culture is very important to the young people imo