Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 147

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
500 lb. Body Causes Fire at Henrico Crematory
HTML tutorial

User Tag List

Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 500 lb. Body Causes Fire at Henrico Crematory

  1. #1
    Administrator Reliable Person mdemaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/2
    Given: 57/0
    3 Post(s)
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    500 lb. Body Causes Fire at Henrico Crematory

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - A crematorium off Mechanicsville Turnpike caught fire Wednesday afternoon as an employee was cremating a 500 pound body. Neighbors could see the smoke billowing from the smokestack around noon. The fire marshal is ruling it an accident.

    There have been incidents like this before at cremation companies all over the nation. But in 20 years of working here, the manager at Southside Cremation says it's never happened to them.

    He says it happened as a result of the size of the body his workers were processing at the time. When it comes to handling obese bodies, extra steps are taken to ensure the cremation process goes smoothly. Jerry Hendrix says the worker took all the right steps -- but because this particular situation involved a 500 pound body, things took an unexpected turn.

    "The body was so obese that the actual body fat came off and went straight up the sack and hit the roof material, the rubber roof we have up there and that's what made it go up like it did…It was no negligence involved in it. My guys, we did all we could. Once it started, the grease hit the roof and started the fire, the only thing we could do is dial 911 and get the fire department here,” Hendrix said.

    There were 3 bodies on site at the cremation site at the time of the fire, but the manager says none were damaged in the process. As for the 500 pound body, the company was able to finish preparing it later Wednesday.

    Three people were inside of the plant at the time of the fire. All were able to get out unharmed. The fire was contained to the roof and was under control within half an hour.

    The business will be closed for a few days to repair damage to the roof and furnace.

  2. #2
    Member Roadie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wow, that's crazy. How awful for the family if they read that their relative started a grease fire! Thank goodness they were able to continue preparing the body and that the whole place didn't go up in flames.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts